Did you know that businesses are required to send emails using an email address that specifies that it is coming from that business?
According to the CAN-SPAM Act requirement #1:
- Don’t use false or misleading header information. Your “From,” “To,” “Reply-To,” and routing information – including the originating domain name and email address – must be accurate and identify the person or business who initiated the message.
That is to say, it is not permissible for a business (no matter how big or small) to use an email address from gmail.com, yahoo.com, live.com, hotmail.com or any other variety of free email service providers.
Truth is though, it’s not because of the CAN-SPAM act, or Canada’s Law on Spam that you should be using your own domain for emails, there are huge benefits to your business!!
5 reasons your business will benefit from your-domain.com emails:
- Brand recognition — that is, your business name will be placed right in front of your clients and prospects.
- Authority — your emails will be perceived to have greater authority, since they are easily identified as business-to-consumer (trainer-to-client)
- Ease of communication — it’s far easier to verbally communicate an email address that ends with your business name with vendors, contractors and clients
- Consistency across communication channels — Makes it easy for prospective clients to find your website, social media profiles and business listings
- No fear of flight — when your business is grounded with a domain name and corresponding email address, it is more likely that you’re in business for the long haul, which will lessen potential fears by clients/prospects about investing in your services!
Fact is, I want you to attract more ideal clients to your business, and setting up your-domain.com email address is a smart and logical step to do so!
Instructions to get your email address(es) setup:
If your current webhost is configured with a CPANEL, you’re in luck, just follow the steps below to get your-domain.com email address setup. (If you’re not currently hosting with a CPANEL, may I recommend switching your hosting over to Bluehost — super easy to do so and affordable!)
- Log into your Hosting Account
- Locate Mail
- Click on Email Accounts. In the box at the top of the screen, setup your desired email address, password and mailbox size*Use the Password Generator to create a complex password & set your Mailbox Quota to Unlimited
- Click the Create Account button
To access your email, you can click on the Access Webmail from this same screen, under the More dropdown, or from the main CPANEL page. Most hosts also have a direct link for accessing your webmail.
Want to access your email from your smart phone or another device? No problem!
Click on the Configure Email Client from the More dropdown and you’ll be redirected to a page that contains instructions and details about your webhost. Scroll to Manual Settings (it will look something like this:)
Use the Secure SSL/TLS Settings and be sure to click any checkboxes that indicate Secure or Authenticate in order to completely set it up!